After working in marine conservation in the Maldives and Malaysia, Wakao joined Greenpeace Japan as a Senior Ocean Campaigner, where he started the Sustainable Seafood Market Project. Later, Wakao founded Seafood Legacy in Tokyo in 2015, to build Japan-centric solutions for seafood sustainability by addressing the importance of domestic business-led initiatives to create a driving force for regulatory reforms.
- Expert Advisor of the Cabinet Office Council for Promotion of Regulatory Reform Agriculture Forestry and Fisheries Working Group
- Committee Member of Fishery Agency Catch Documentation Working Group
- Committee Member of the Fishery Agency, Wide Sea-area Fisheries Adjustment Commission
- Steering board member of Global Sustainable Seafood Initiatives (GSSI)
- Recipient of 2019 SeaWeb Seafood Champion Award Leadership Category