Tokyo Sustainable Seafood
    Symposium 2018 Report-7

    big-fish

    C-2: Approaching Seafood Sustainability with Seafood Ratings and Improvement Projects

    Minako Iue
    President, Sailors for the Sea Japan

    “The Blue Seafood Guide is the only seafood rating program in Japan. Instead of saying we should not eat seafood that has poor stock condition, our goal is to provide environmentally friendly options that will allow marine resources to remain for the next generation without burden.”

    Ryan Bigelow
    Senior Program Manager, Seafood Watch

    “Certified seafood has grown to account for 20% of the world’s fisheries. The rating provides information for the remaining 80% of fisheries to businesses and consumers. Sustainability is a basic requirement in the market in Europe and United States and many companies form partnerships with specialized organizations like NGOs.”

    Tom Pickerell
    Global Tuna Director, Sustainable Fisheries Partnership(SFP)

    “If you find out that your company is sourcing from fisheries that capture stocks in unfavorable conditions, we do not advise that you immediately stop sourcing from them. This is because companies can leverage their purchasing power and built-up business relationship to support fisheries and aquacultures through FIPs and AIPs.”

    Thomas James Kraft
    Managing Director, Norpac Fisheries Export

    “Sustainability of the seafood industry greatly influence not only the environment but also society as well. Understanding what is going on in the field is important for companies that are going to start sustainability initiatives. By introducing an electronic traceability system, we are able to tell the stories of producers that are operating their fisheries sustainably, as well as win the demand of the market as a supplier.”